Skip to main content

Kansas Locum Tenens FAQs

Stick figure resident physicians helping one another to climb "You're Covered!" text

Click on "+" after each question to view the answer:

Who is eligible to provide KLT coverage?

University of Kansas resident physicians, fellows, and faculty at the University of Kansas Medical Center (all campuses).

Who requests temporary coverage?

Hospitals, clinics, ERs, and urgent care facilities in rural and urban underserved Kansas communities.

What areas of practice does KLT cover?

KLT provides coverage for Primar Care (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, and medicine-pediatrics). Residents/Fellows can be in any KU residency/fellowship program as long as they meet all eligibility requirements.

What requirements are needed in order to participate in KLT?

Residents must have completed Step 3, one year of residency training, and have residency program director approval. All providers must have a full license issued by the Kansas Board of Healing Arts, a DEA certificate, medical professional liability insurance (sponsorships available), NPI, and other certifications. ATLS certification is required for 99% of KLT coverage requests.

Can residents use vacation time to provide coverage?

Yes, at the discretion of the residency program director.

How long are KLT coverages?

Most coverages occur over the weekend and range from 48 to 60 hours on an on-call basis. Monday–Friday clinic coverage and inpatient rounding is also requested.

Does KLT coverage count toward the resident’s 80 hour work week?

Yes, KLT providers are required to report all locum tenens/moonlighting activities in duty hour reports. Rural Health Education and Services helps with scheduling to comply with ACGME duty hour rules and requires off-site lodging to be provided.

What form do providers need to complete to get started?

Complete the Register as a Provider online form.

How does a resident/fellow apply for the medical professional liability insurance sponsorship?

Before applying for sponsorship, a resident/fellow must be an approved KLT provider. The KLT Insurance Form may be completed after a provider is accepted to provide coverage through KLT. 

How much do the residents get paid?

Organizations set their own competitive rates based on fair market value that are 100% paid to the resident/fellow. In addition, there are sponsorships available to cover the resident’s/fellow's medical professional liability insurance (up to a $1,400 value).

What if an organization contacts me directly inquiring about available locum tenens providers or opportunities?

Please direct inquiries to Rural Health Education and Services at 316-293-2649 or The organization needs to be set up as a KLT site. Rural Health Education and Services does not charge an administrative fee and organizations set their own KLT rates based on fair market value.

How does Rural Health Education and Services (RHES) provide assistance?

For 25 years, RHES has managed the KLT program by partnering with organizations that need coverage, and KU residents, fellows, and faculty who want to learn and earn. RHES does not charge an administrative fee to organizations for KLT service. In addition, RHES offers administrative services to faculty and residents/fellows by sharing coverage opportunities and assisting with completing contracts and forms. Medical Professional Liability Insurance sponsorships for residents and fellows are also managed by RHES.

Medical Professional Liability Insurance Sponsorship

I've already purchased insurance. Can I apply to be reimbursed?

Yes. Documentation is required that shows limits of 1 million/3 million are met as required by KLT. Reimbursement up to $1400/year, prorated based on expiration.

My insurance doesn't expire for a couple months. Can I be on a waiting list or approved now for renewal when my insurance expires?


If so, can I start my coverages towards the 4 now?

Yes. KLT maintains a database recording all coverages completed by each resident/fellow sponsored, and insurance effective and expiration dates.

Once I am approved to receive medical professional liability insurance sponsorship, how soon must I purchase the insurance policy?

Medical professional liability insurance policy with limits of 1 million/3 million must be purchased within 60 days. KLT requires resident physicians/fellows to submit a copy of the insurance policy within those 60 days.

Is the insurance subsidy taxable?

Yes. Kansas City resident physicians/fellows will receive the insurance subsidy in their normal paychecks and taxes will be taken out accordingly. Resident physicians/fellows in Wichita and Salina will be paid directly and receive 1099s.

When can I expect to see my insurance subsidy check?

Kansas City resident physicians/fellows please allow at least two pay periods to receive the payment. Resident physicians/fellows in Wichita and Salina please allow approximately 30 days for payment.

How do you define service coverage assignment?

Any one scheduled coverage, no matter the length of coverage, is determined a service coverage assignment.

Last modified: May 21, 2019
Meet Jennifer

Jennifer Worford

Jennifer Worford
Locum Tenens Coordinator